Thunder Tie Falcons

Thunder Tie Falcons

ANGOLA, Ind. -- 65 minutes were not enough to decide a victor and the Trine University men's hockey team was forced to settle for a tie with visiting Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) Concordia University Wisconsin by the score 3-3. Three different members of the Thunder finished the game with a goal.

Trine started the scoring in the just the fourth minutes of the contest as the took advantage of a powerplay opportunity. The team worked the puck through the point and into the flat where sophomore Niko Moulakelis (Prairie View, Ill.) fired off a shot that found its mark. Both sophomore Josh Hinderliter (Wyandotte, Mich.) and freshman Jon Doyle (Livonia, Mich.) added assists on the shot.

The Falcons responded six minutes later with a powerplay goal of their own to tie the game at 1-1. Just 24 seconds later they took the 2-1 lead behind an even-strength goal. The score would remain the same heading into the first intermission.

The second period was all about the Thunder as they tallied the only two goals in the stanza to take back the lead.

Their first goal came in the tenth minute when sophomore Corey Robertson (South Lyon, Mich.) defected a rebounded shot out to the flat where classmate Alex Johanson (Skokie, Ill.) collected it and moved it to a waiting Hinderliter who fired a shot from near the blueline that found its mark. The goal, which was Hinderliter's first of the season, tied the score at two.

Trine took back the lead with a second powerplay tally in the 14th minute. The play started with two shots from freshman Garrett Hallford (McKinney, Texas), both coming from right in front of the net and both rebounded out in front of the goaltender. The second rebound was deflected to the back side of the net where Doyle was waiting to finish off the scoring play. The goal gave the Thunder a 3-2 lead which they would hold into the second intermission.

Trine held to their one-goal lead through the majority of the third period. In desperation, the Falcons pulled their goalie for an extra attacker with just over a minute left in regulation. The gamble paid off with the team scoring the equalizer with just 43 seconds remaining on the clock.

Both teams would go scoreless in the overtime period and the game would end in a 3-3 tie.

Junior Brett Young (Livonia, Mich.) played all 65 minutes in net for the Thunder and finished the game with 28 saves.

The Thunder fall to 7-9-2 overall and 3-7-1 in the NCHA following the draw. They will take the ice again when they host the Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) tomorrow, Jan. 19 with puck drop scheduled for 5 p.m.

Thunder Shutout Foresters
February 2, 2019 Thunder Shutout Foresters
Thunder Fall to Lions
January 25, 2019 Thunder Fall to Lions
Thunder Tie Falcons
January 18, 2019 Thunder Tie Falcons
Thunder Sweep Monarchs
January 5, 2019 Thunder Sweep Monarchs